Wednesday 14 April 2010

Cemetery Junction








Ok, it's a music blog, so I'll keep it brief...but today I watched Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant's new film Cemetery Junction. I've always been a huge fan of Gervais since The Office; his awkward comedy completely moulded by sense of humour and rules it to this day. I must have been about 11 or 12 when it came out, so in my vulnerable teenage years was open to any kind of influence! Luckily the sheer comedy genius that is The Office came along and was just perfect...OK not everyone really gets it: 'Is he telling a joke or just being sarcastic? God this is awkward...' but my friends do so that's all that matters!

Anyway, back to Reading, 1973. It wasn't a 'comedy' but it certainly had it's funny bits; it's not one of your 'oh Gervais always plays the same characters' films that he gets knocked for, he barely figures in the film itself as a character. A few nods to Stephen Merchant's googly-eyed stereotype and Karl Pilkington's hysterical, gormless face were enough for me but the script was so well written, the characters brilliant, the sets fantastic and the soundtrack had me tapping my foot the whole way through the film. Enough drama but not too serious, enough jokes but not too silly; it was the perfect mix and a completely enjoyable story. Not sure what the deal is with it's release in cinemas (sorry, theaters) outside of the UK but it opened here today so I definitely recommend going to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write :)